Welcome to Breaking Boxes
My name is Penni Lane Sears and I am a Marriage and Family Therapist and Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor located in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. I started my private practice, Breaking Boxes in 2013.
I think one of my clients said it best when she told me I was a “kick in the ass.”
Basic skills like saying no, setting and maintaining boundaries, and knowing how to recognize a healthy relationship are skill sets that are not always “basic.”
I’ve been practicing therapy for seventeen years and have developed tips and tools to help you regulate your anxiety and reactivity due to PTSD or other anxiety disorders. My goal in providing you treatment and coaching is to give you the tools that you need to live the happiest life possible for you.
How I Can Help
I will be using Cognitive Behavioral strategies as well as Strength Based techniques and tools I have developed to help you:
- Manage Anxiety and Depression
- Learn Who You Are and What You Want
- Set Boundaries with Others
- Learn How to Build a Healthy Support System
- Say No to Others
- Communicate Better and Get Your Needs Met
- Have Healthier and Happier Relationships
- Have Realistic Expectations of Those Around You
- Regulate Reactivity
- Regulate Negative Thoughts
I help you by:
- Developing Plans for Stressful Situations
- Providing You with Honest Feedback
- Providing You with Information/Feedback About Your Thought Process
- Finding the Source of Negative Messages/Automatic Thoughts
- Re-framing Situations/Changing Negative Thought Patterns
- Looking For Evidence To Support/Refute Beliefs
- Developing Scaling Tools to Regulate Emotions and Thoughts
- Teaching You Accountability and Ownership for Your Words, Actions and Reactions
I can give you honest feedback and help you set standards, create boundaries, and teach you how to communicate your needs and feelings with others. If you think you can handle some honest feedback, when you are ready (because you have to be ready), let me help you get out of the box!
I like to practice therapy using cognitive behavioral techniques. Using this theory as a framework, I help you learn to monitor and re-frame the thoughts that are causing you distress.
Because thoughts cause feelings, changing your thoughts can have a huge impact on the way you feel and react to your environment.
By helping you think differently, and teaching you to challenge your thoughts with evidence, triggers begin to lose their power and you are better able to function.
Contact me today for a free consultation.